Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm a Grinch Today

Bah Humbug!

We had to get my husband's Toyota ForeRunner inspected today and it FAILED. In a big way. Well, it is a 1991. But, it only has around 80,000 miles on it, so we were hoping for a couple more years. I know. That sounds funny to say about a 1991! :)

So, now, in the midst of holiday cheer, we have to figure out what to do about a second vehicle. Who wants to buy a new car in this economy? Do you lease instead and hope for cars with better fuel economy in a few years?

This has me feeling a little LESS than cheerful, shall we say.

So, I'll be back tomorrow with a post I've been working on about our visit with santa. That should restore my holiday spirit!

8 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

Bummer! I so do NOT want to think about this any time soon. Good luck.

Unknown said...

That's not fun, Chris. Why did it fail? Our state doesn't even have inspections. Yeah, we aren't really concerned with the environment here in the midwest.

I'm with you. The last thing anyone would want to do now is buy a new vehicle. Geez.

Things will look up tomorrow.

Chris said...

Hi Melanie!

Yes, it is a bummer all right. I guess we are going to be a one car family for a bit because I don't like to rush into these decisions. Thanks for the good wishes!

Chris said...

Hi Summer! :)

It failed for many reasons, but we were going to have it fixed. We knew about the bumper needing replaced. But, new brakes and something else in the engine were surprises. When they went to fix the brakes, they discovered holes in the frame. So, no way will it pass inspection now. It's done.

It's been a great vehicle. But, now it's time to be more fuel efficient.

I was just REALLY enjoying our time without a car payment! But, I'll be done pouting soon. :)

Thanks for being upbeat! :)

texaslauren77 said...

That's too bad! I know how you feel about enjoying being car-payment free...When I paid mine off last year, I danced around giddy for probably a month!

If it's any consolation, though, it seems like there are a lot of car dealers that are offering huge deals because things haven't been selling. I bet you could really talk 'em down a whole bunch since they are desperate to make any kind of a sale right now.

Chris said...

Lauren,

I hope you are right! We don't have to rush right out and buy one, thank goodness. We have 4 months before things get too hairy with only one car. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

Ms. Florida Transplant said...

Oh, that sucks! That will put a damper on the holidays.

On the bright side, many of the dealers have 0% financing and are selling cars WAY below blue book values to move them. You can almost name your own price (within reason) if you decide to buy another one soon.

Ms. Florida Transplant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.