Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cookie Swap Day! Recipe for Monster Cookies

It's Fuschia's Cookie Swap Day! Everyone can join in. Just follow the directions in my sidebar, or go over to her site and read the directions there. It's fun! :)

MONSTER COOKIES

My family LOVES these cookies. I usually have to hide some in the freezer or they all disappear overnight. My daughter even made them as an entry in our local fair and won a red ribbon! It's a nearly foolproof recipe and you can kid yourself into believing these are healthy because of the oats! :)

INGREDIENTS :

1 cup margarine
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini M&M baking bits


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together margarine, brown sugar, white sugar and eggs until smooth.
Stir in the vanilla.
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and stir into the sugar mixture.
Add the oats.
Mix all until well incorporated.
Mix in chocolate chips and chocolate baking bits.
Drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Makes 36 cookies.

Bake for 10 to 11 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. If you like chewy cookies, take them out before they look done.

NOTES:
These freeze really well!
I use a medium or large size OXO cookie scoop.
Use regular-sized HOLIDAY M&M’s to make these festive! I use the red/green for Christmas. Just press a few EXTRA M&M's on top of each cookie before baking. That way the colors pop.
Sometimes, I add ¼ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to the recipe for a yummy chocolate version. You cannot see the colors of the M&M’s as well when you do that, though.

10 comments:

Fuschia said...

Yummy!
Thanks for participating. We're all going to gain 15 pounds ;)

BIBI said...

I totally agree with Fuschia. But I'll eat them anyway to see if it really works.

Beth Cotell said...

I may have to make these this week - I have all the indgredients on hand and they sound yummy!

Anonymous said...

My family loves cookies and 'tis the season for baking. Thanks for sharing! A red ribbon - wow. Good for her.

Connie said...

Those sound great, Chris! My sons would love these. :D

intrepidideas said...

Red Ribbon cookies? Can't go wrong there... Thanks!

Chris said...

Wow! Thanks for commenting, everyone! I sure hope the recipe works out for everyone that tries it. Although, if Sarah at age 9 could do it & win a ribbon, I have every confidence. :)

I ALMOST made it through today without eating any cookies... almost. My poor poor diet. :)

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Yummy Cookies! Hey...I made Santa Hats for you & your doggie! :)

Email me your address & I'll send the picture to ya! Ho Ho Ho!!!

olga@olgathetravelingbra.com

Chris said...

Olga, thanks for the hats! They are TERRIFIC! :)

Lassie wants to know when she can remove hers and chew on it. :)

Joanna said...

These sound yummy!