Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Everyone Needs a Hazmat Suit

Today Sarah went to science camp with her best friend, Meg. They couldn't wait to go on the hike along the Ohio River to capture various bits of wildlife, namely frogs.

Well, Meg arrives home this evening to regale her mom with stories of the excursion. Evidently, she neglected to mention the exact day's activity when she told her mom that she needed shoes that could get wet. So, the river trek was news to her mom.

Meg's mom just happens to be my dear friend too. So, she calls immediately upon discovery of the "Ohio River Trek." Heather grew up far from the Ohio valley and its perils.

Me: Hi Heather.

Heather: Did you know about the visit to the Ohio River?

Me: Yes.

Heather: Did you know they were IN the river? IN THE RIVER?

Me: Well, I don't think they were swimming in it or anything. They just searched for frogs on the edge.

Heather: I had Meg change her clothes and disinfect as soon as she got home. Do you think I should take her to the doctor?

Me: Ummm...Why would you do that?

Heather: Well, you know there are mutated fish with 5 eyes in that river! I hear people talking about it!

Me: Heather, I don't think the river is still in that condition. You just talk to elderly people at the museum where you work and they remember the river of 50 years ago with all the factory waste.

Heather: Well, maybe I should just get her a Hazmat suit.

Me: (practically howling with laughter) Your husband would like that since Meg could re-use it for Halloween.

The conversation degenerated from there. Imagine that! :)

I'm serious! I REALLY HAD THIS CONVERSATION!!! :)

No comments: