Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Lorikeet Adventure, Part 2

Hi,

Remember my Lorikeet adventure from last week?

Wouldn't you think I would learn from that event? Evidently not.

Tonight was a members' night event at the zoo. Members were invited to go welcome the new kangaroos and wallabies to their new habitat. It was a lovely evening, so we all decided to go.

Of course, the kangaroos are in an enclosure next to the Lorikeet exhibit. And OF COURSE I had to visit them. Again. After all, it couldn't be any more DANGEROUS than my last visit. Besides, my fingers had healed up.

So, I somewhat hesitantly followed the kids into the feeding area. I didn't get any nectar this time. I am no fool!

Silly silly me.

I was thrilled when an apparently sweet-tempered bird landed on my arm. I tried not to think about the somewhat LIQUID experience my arm was having and the DRIPPING sensation on my shoe. At least I knew that the bird was now - ahem - emptied and I could safely hand the friendly guy over to Sarah (who was understandably nervous after last week). "Sarah," I said, "just put your finger in front of his legs, LIKE THIS," and I placed my defenseless finger against the bird's feet. CHOMP. Yes, that bird BIT me. AND THEN SOMETHING DRIPPED DOWN MY ARM...again! (Trying not to sound too graphic here...you get the picture).

I am trying not to think about it when ANOTHER BIRD landed on my HEAD and decided it was a perfect nest. According to hysterically laughing bystanders, he was GROOMING individual strands of my hair in preparation for nest building.

AAAAAGH!

Do I dare try again next week??? I did see where they need more Lorikeet volunteer assistants...

Hope this made you smile,

Christen

No comments: