Friday, February 5, 2010

Walmart, the Day Before the Storm

I went to Walmart today. The day before we are to get (possibly) 16 inches of snow. It was a zoo. But, surprisingly, people were NICE. Yes, nice. I couldn't believe it. I mean, except for the few crazies that were trying to get through express checkout with 1,987 items, it wasn't bad at all. One had a screaming baby, so I totally didn't blame her.

I was picking up a grand total of 3 items. Don't ask me why I needed to be out. I laughed at my total of $9.14 (at Walmart!). How is that even POSSIBLE? I never leave there with less than half a cartload! I explained my chuckle to the cashier, saying something to the tune of, "Why did I feel the need to come out in the snow to spend $9.14?" And she said, "Because it's EXCITING." She was completely straight-faced. She meant it! EXCITING. Hmmmm...

But there is something to her comment. Being out in treacherous conditions seems to create a bit of a "Survivor's Club" in the participants. People (the ones who aren't grumpy about the snow) seem more friendly, somehow.

For example, I was standing in the baking goods aisle, trying to read the expiration date on yeast (my new bifocals were brilliantly left at home), when a very nice lady (a stranger) struck up a conversation with me about bread baking. The day is not yet done and we've already exchanged a recipe via email. I actually know her family, so it's not that weird. :) Gotta love small towns.

Then, as I was pushing my cart with 3 items (I don't know why, but that just seems so funny to me! At Walmart!), I passed a man who wanted to know where I got my coat. My coat is at least FOUR years old and (sadly) at any given time probably has a dozen collie hairs on it. But, I told him Cabella's and he seemed pleased to know. He said he liked it a lot and thought his wife would too. He was wearing a hunting cap so I have the idea that maybe an excuse to go to Cabella's made him happy. :)

So, aside from some crazy drivers in the parking lot, and a few in the store (not driving) :), I quite enjoyed my foray into the pre-snow shopping "Survivor's Club." :)

5 comments:

Connie said...

You bought only three items! At Walmart! And you spent less than $10!!
HA HA HA! That is pretty funny. :)

Glad to hear you are one of the survivors! :D

Chris said...

Hi Daisy! Yep. It amused me too. ;) Why I thought I had to be out, I've no idea. :)

intrepidideas said...

These are the best of times... Snow days! Yeah!

Chris said...

I love snow days... but I think maybe (just maybe) the kids are finally ready to go back to school. ;)

Adrian said...

So, I don't actually believe this will work.
link