Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Well, What DID I Expect?

I just returned a pasta pot to Macy's. It was beautiful and $100, so I was looking forward to using what I thought was a quality kitchen product. After ONE use, I noticed rust spots in the bottom of the pot. RUST. $100 pot!!!

It is not as if I let the water sit in the pot for any length of time, either. I washed it out and dried it when the handles were still warm.

So, I found the receipt and the box (thank goodness I still had it) and marched it into Macy's.

As soon as I got to the counter, I heard an employee saying, "I can leave in 5 minutes." So, I thought, "Oh, she'll be right over."

(Waiting.)

(Waiting some more.)

Another employee walked by and eluded my stare, but then, several minutes later, realized that I had a BOX and I was waiting near a REGISTER. "A SALE!" he thought!

He called over the person who must have practically had her coat on by this time. She was grumpy. Now, if she had come right over when I got there, she would have already been done!

I told her what was wrong. The return was no problem. But then she turned it over and said to me (LIKE THIS WAS MY FAULT!), "Well, it's MADE IN CHINA, what did you expect?"

What did I EXPECT? Really?

I'd like to have a few words with the higher ups in the Martha Stewart kitchen products division. I really don't care where the item was made. If it can be purchased at Macy's (with a $100 price tag!) and Martha Stewart has her name on it, I EXPECT a quality product.

So, there is my rant for the day. I wish I had a good pasta pot. Does anyone have a suggestion of one they use and like?

6 comments:

Connie said...

Well gee whiz! I'd be ranting too if I were you! That's just crazy. If it is that expensive and is a name brand, then perhaps they should consider getting it made somewhere else if the quality isn't what it should be. Ay-yi-yi! I'm glad you were able to return it, but I think you also ought to write a letter of complaint to Martha Stewart's company.

Carpool Queen said...

I use Belgique (which you can find at Macy's on the next table over from Martha's).

It'll cost an arm and a leg, but my set is 18 years old and still in perfect condition.

annie valentine said...

Believe it or not, I get some of the most fantastic kitchen ware at Ross. You've got to hunt, but sometimes you get a screaming deal on a really good product.

And now I want pasta.

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
supper said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Victoria said...

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a lovely comment on my squirrel photo! Now I must tell you that I have a Calphalon Pasta Pot that I just LOVE... it has both the pasta insert AND a steamer insert (for steaming vegetables when you are feeding a crowd) and the pot itself is 10 qt size (I think) so it makes for a great stock pot for making soups. I also have a cheap one (same concept) purchased somewhere a long time ago... wish I could tell you where/what because it is still fine too. The reason I've kept both is because sometimes I go on a stock making binge and need two stock pots! (will add myself as a follower and check in from time to time)